Entry Into The USA

Teacher applicants who have successfully completed the evaluation process and have been offered a teaching position will receive from FACES a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1 Status) form DS-2019. The document will be required to obtain a visa to teach in the United States and must be presented to the United States Consulate Office in the applicant's home country. This type of visa is designed for cultural programs, allowing teachers to live and work in the United States for one year with the option to renew for a second and third year. After three years, visitor teachers are required to return to their native country for two years before they may return to the United States to work again. The purpose of FACES is for the visitor teacher to return to their home country to share their educational and cultural experiences. If it is your intent to remain in the United States upon the completion of the Program, you need not apply.

Spouses and children up to the age of 21 may join participating FACES teachers in the U.S. after one month. Spouses planning to seek employment in the United States should be prepared to wait three months after arrival to receive work authorization. We cannot guarantee that work authorization will be granted, although in the past it has been routinely approved, and we remind candidates that their spouses cannot work in the United States without such authorization. For more information on J-1 visa requirements visit the U.S. Department of State Website.