It is important that you read the following information in its entirety before beginning your application with FACES.
FACES is currently processing applications for the 2024-2025 academic year!
At this time, we are not accepting applications for the following subject areas: Accounting, Agriculture, Business Education, Computer Science, Economics, Geography, Physical Education, Swahili.
There are no fees associated with applying!!
Information Regarding Submission of the Online Application:
Please scan and have the following ready in digital format. These are required in order to submit your application. You will be asked to upload them when submitting your application. They may be in any digital image format (.jpg, .pdf, .tif, .etc). Please do not exceed 5 megabytes per file. An application submitted without accompanying documents cannot be processed.
- Photo of yourself – your photo should be a head shot of you smiling.
- All university diplomas, both original and English translation if the original is not already in English.
- All university transcripts, both original and English translation if the original is not already in English
- Front and back copies of your driver’s license
- Proof of ALL teaching experience since receiving your Bachelors degree. Click here to download the "Verification of Teaching Experience" form, required by our state's Department of Education to be completed by Payroll/Human Resource personnel at each employer.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. One letter must be from your current Principal or immediate supervisor. A second letter must be from your former Principal or former Supervisor. The third letter must be from your current Assistant Principal, Department Chairperson or Guidance Counselor.
- Picture page of your passport
Information about the Course-by-Course Credential Evaluation Upload - not required at time of application but will be required before being shared with school district personnel.
Our state's department of education requires the course by course credential evaluation from a NACES approved agency to confirm that applicants’ degrees are equivalent to American degrees in education. There are several NACES approved agencies that you can use to complete the course by course credential evaluation. A list can be found at https://www.naces.org/members. An agency can take anywhere from one month or longer to complete and evaluation. The course-by-course credential evaluation is not required to be uploaded at the time of applying, however, if you have one already it would expedite the application process. If you do not already have a course by course credential evaluation you will be asked to get one following a successful interview and prior to being shared with school district personnel. Should you be offered and accept a position to teach in South Carolina, sponsored by FACES, FACES will reimburse you up to $150.00 USD for the course-by-course credential evaluation during your Orientation in Columbia, South Carolina.
Other Important Information about Applying with FACES
- All communication regarding your application will be by e-mail. Please be sure to give a valid e-mail address and check your e-mail regularly.
- The ability to drive a car is an absolute prerequisite to be accepted in the FACES program. If you do not have a driver's license and at least one year of safe driving history, please do not apply. We will be happy to accept your application after you have fulfilled this requirement.
- The ability to speak English at a fairly high level is absolutely essential.
- FACES does not charge any application fees; should you be asked by anyone to pay a fee know that they are not affiliated with FACES and report them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In order to obtain a teaching certificate in South Carolina, you must have a university degree in the subject you will teach. Your degree must also have a teaching component, containing several courses in Pedagogy or Education. For example: PLEASE UNDERSTAND: A strong interest or even experience in teaching is not sufficient to obtain a teaching certificate. You must have the appropriate degree, along with teacher training from a university.
- To teach Math you must have a Math Education Degree; an Engineering or Accounting Degree is not acceptable.
- To teach Special Education, you must have a degree in Special Education; a degree in Education is not sufficient.
- To teach Spanish, you must have a degree in Spanish Teaching or a degree in English Teaching if you are a native Spanish Speaker.
- To teach Elementary, we recommend that you have at least two reading courses.
- The education component should include at least 6 courses similar to the following:
- Human Growth and Development
- Educational Psychology
- History of Education
- Philosophy of education
- Instructional Technology
- Curriculum Design
- Assessment Strategies
- Teaching Methods
- Student Teaching
- Techniques for Teaching in one's subject
- Pedagogical Courses
Potential Costs: There are no fees associated with applying. Applicants who successfully pass the interview with a FACES representative will be required to submit to FACES a course by course evaluation ($150-$275) from a NACES approved agency and criminal background check (cost varies by country) to prove eligibility for the J-1 visa. These documents are only requested after successfully passing an interview. To find a NACES approved agency for credential evaluation, click here.
J2 Dependents: Based on the cost of living and access to quality daycare for young children, FACES follows the criteria that candidates with children under the age of five will not be considered until the youngest dependent is five years of age by September 1st of a US academic year, unless the candidate does not plan for the dependent to come to SC until age five or older. Additionally, FACES does not allow candidates to bring more than four dependents with them to SC. J2 dependents are limited to spouse and non-married children under the age of 21.
Application and Placement Annual Cycle (September – September):
Applications are processed year round.
Completed applications consist of:
- All requested documents have been uploaded, reviewed and approved by Application Team Members. This includes the course-by-course credential evaluation that will be requested following a successful review of a self-made video submission.
- Submission of a self-made video (questions are emailed to you following an initial review and acceptance of your application).
Placement season typically begins March 1st and runs through mid-June. Applications submitted during this time may not be processed until September unless your subject area is in high demand. Should you submit an application during this time it is best to already have the course-by-course credential evaluation on hand to expedite the review process.
Please understand that FACES may not respond to applicants who do not satisfy the requirements explained on this page.